Monday, June 30, 2014

Found Poetry

Found poetry is taking language from a non-poetic context and turning it into a poem.  I first heard about this when I was reading "Poems Waiting to be Found" by Shirley McPhillips, one of the featured writers at the Stenhouse Summer Blogstitute 2014

I decided to give it a try.  The following are the original text I used and my attempts at Found Poetry:  
From Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella


The process is all so slow, as dreams are slow, as dreams suspend time like a balloon hung in midair. I want it all to happen now. I want the catcher to appear. I want whatever miracle I am party to, to prosper and grow: I want the dimensions of time that have been loosened from their foundation to entwine like a basketful of bright embroidery threads. But it seems that even for dreams, I have to work and wait. It hardly seems fair.


Dreams
So s-l-o-w...
Dreams... are… slow
          suspends
Time                    like a balloon hung in midair
For the dimensions of time to entwine
I have to work... and... wait
So s-l-o-w…
Dreams


From the Summer of the Gypsy Moth by Sara Pennypacker.


I like to imagine the ties between us as spider silk: practically invisible, maybe, but strong as steel. I figure the trick is to spin out enough of them to weave ourselves into a net.  


Ties between us…
Like strands of spider silk,
Invisible but strong.
Strong as steel.

Weaved into a net.

I hope you feel inspired to try Found Poetry. If so feel free to share your attempts.

No comments:

Post a Comment